The braided side pony tail is one of the simplest and prettiest hair styles around. Perfect for the summer months when you want your hair away from your face and neck. There are a few ways to create this hairstyle, however I am going to start you off at the very basics
The simplest hairstyle you will ever do.
The great thing about this hairstyle is you can do it on short hair (just above the shoulders) or long hair. If you’re an absolute beginner, then I recommend you curl your hair first, and more so if you have thin hair, curling is a must. Curling your hair first will help hide any gaps in your braid and will give you the appearance of volume and fullness.
What you’ll need
Volume Powder or Dry Shampoo
Curling Iron or GHD
So now that you have everything you need, let’s get started!
- If you will be curling your hair then this is your very first step.
- Part your hair to one side and take a small triangle section of hair from the crown to begin the braid.
- Divide that section of hair into 3 even sections. This is the base of your french braid
- Loosely French braid inside-out moving down towards the ears. A french braid is where the 3 strands go over each other. Both left and right strand take it in turns to go over the middle strand, and as the right strand becomes the left strand and vice verse, you pick up a little bit of hair from either side and add it in. Right over middle, pick up a little, left over middle, pick up a little, right over middle, pick up a little left over middle, pick up a little…
- Once you have worked your way down secure it with an elastic
- For extra volume and to give it more of a messy modern feel, apply a little volume powder or dry shampoo to your braid, start to work that in and then pull out small strands of hair to add texture.
Director of the Academy of Hair & Makeup
Simple Vintage Waves You Can Do Yourself
>Click here and be a part of our FREE LIVE Makeup Classes every Tuesday 1pm est